Northeastern Pennsylvania Council NESA Chapter
NESA NEPA Chapter
Brian H. Swatt Scholarship Application
Application due date: June 1, 2022
“Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle.”
To provide a scholarship to local Eagle Scout(s) graduating high school who are pursuing higher education at an Associate’s or Bachelor degree granting institution.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS -- $1,000.00
Scholarships will be awarded based on academic performance, extra-curricular activities, community and Scouting involvement, as well as an essay submission. Two recipients will be chosen based on an evaluation of applications by the Scholarship Committee. One of the scholarships will have a preference for candidates who are Eagle Scout who have served on the camp staff at either Goose Pond or Camp Acahela. Scholarships will be awarded annually provided funds are available.
WHO WAS BRIAN H. SWATT
Brian Henry Swatt was an Eagle Scout from Troop 87 in Mayfield, PA and a Vigil Honor member of Lowwapaneu Lodge, Order of the Arrow. Brian served the Northeastern Pennsylvania Council in many capacities, including as a six-summer camp staff member at Goose Pond Scout Reservation and a member of the annual Eagle Recognition Dinner Committee. He was also active with the Order of the Arrow at the Section level where he was an officer in the former Section NE-5B. Brian’s passion for service was a matter of public record as well: from 2016-2018, he was president of the student government association at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania and, in 2017, was appointed by PA Governor Tom Wolf to serve on the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Board of Governor’s. Brian’s life was a reflection of his selfless legacy of leadership. Before Brian tragically and suddenly passed away in June, 2019, he was a friend and mentor to everyone he encountered, and inspired the next generation of Scouting leaders across the Council and well beyond.
To honor Brian's legacy of leadership and service, the Brian H. Swatt Eagle Scout Scholarship was established with the purpose of providing monetary support to Eagle Scouts within the Council by awarding a scholarship gift for their higher education needs
- Applicants must have earned the rank of Eagle Scout by June 1, 2022. Eagle Scouts whose Board of Review occurs after May 31, 2022 may apply during the next scholarship cycle (June 1, 2022 - May 31, 2023) even though they may already be attending college or trade school at that time.
- Applicants must be completing or have completed high school successfully.
- Applicants must be accepted in a course of study at a college, university, or trade school pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree for the upcoming academic semester.
- Applicants must be entering their Freshman or Sophomore year in Fall of 2022 as a full-time student.
- Applicants must reside within the geographic scope of the Northeast Pennsylvania Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Previous award recipients of the NEPA-NESA Scholarship are ineligible.
- Previous applicants may reapply providing they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Applicants must complete and submit a Scholarship Application by June 1, 2022.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE:
- Completed application form including essay submission.
- A reference letter from a Scouting source (e.g. Lodge Advisor, Camp Administrator, Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor, Unit Committee Member, etc.).
- Official proof of current academic standing via high school or college transcript. (Official transcripts are preferred, however unofficial transcripts will be accepted if there is a financial charge to obtain these documents from the institution.)
- Awards will be announced by July 1, 2022. Monies will be sent to the awardee’s selected institution by October 1, 2022.
- Upon request, scholarship awardees must provide their student ID, the correct mailing address of their institution and the department where their scholarship check is to be used.
- Award amounts will be distributed only after all requirements are met.
Please mail OR submit this application in person to: Mr. David Srebro, Council Program Director
Download NEPA NESA Scholarship Application
|Brian H. Swatt Scholarship application||Download|