Greetings and Happy New Year,
Below are import dates and information for the Dan Beard District for the month. Also, attached to this e-mail you will find important flyers and registration forms. For additional information about activities, training's, and other topics listed below please visit our District page at: http://nepabsa.org/danbearddistrict
Both Cub Scout and Boy Scout Roundtables will meet tomorrow Tuesday, January 7th at the Lackawanna Department of Emergency Services starting at 7 pm. Roundtables are open to all leaders and are a great way to discuss program, receive valuable information, and meet with others leaders throughout the district. See you there!
First, I would like to thank everyone who participated in the re-chartering days at the scout office. I especially want to thank you for giving of your time and patience.
Many of your charters are in the final stages and should be completed this week. I ask that you double check with your leaders to be sure that all forms and training's, such as Youth Protection Training, have been updated or turned in. Please send me any information that can be used to complete your units charter.
***If your unit has not turned in a charter, or at the very least touched base with me, you need to contact me ASAP!!!! Keep in mind that if your unit plans on holding meetings, camping trips, or attend other events it is important that your unit's charter is current to be covered under BSA's insurance policy.***
Cub Scout Winter Fun Day
Calling all Cub Scouts and Leaders! Please join us on Saturday, January 25th at Elm Street Park in Dickson City for a day of fun and activities. Please see the attached flyer for more information. See you there!
The Klondike will be held at Goose Pond on Saturday, February 8th 2014. We currently are looking for staff members or troops/crews to cover the following stations: Shelters, Artillery Barrage, Leave No Man Behind, Tracking, and Communication.
District Committee Training/Workshop
The Dan Beard District will be conducting a District Committee Training/Workshop on Sat. Feb. 1st from 8:30 am to 3 pm at the Scout Service and Training Center. This training is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about how the district functions. All district committee members and unit commissioners are strongly encouraged to attend. Please register no later than January 25th at the Scout Shop.
Dan Beard District Dinner
The Dinner committee is hard at work putting together another outstanding program for this years District Dinner. Please marks your calendars and plan on joining us on Saturday, March 29th at St. Mary's Center in Scranton for our District Dinner.
Order of the Arrow Unit Elections
Good news, national has dropped the $1 transfer fee! There is no longer a cost to transfer into a different unit or for Webelows crossing over into Boy Scouts.
Upcoming Training's (http://www.nepabsa.org/training)
- Venturing Leader Specific Training @ SSTC Sun. Jan. 12th
- Life to Eagle Seminar @ SSTC Mon. Jan. 13th
- Dan Beard District Committee Training @ SSTC Sat. Feb. 1st
- University of Scouting on Sat. March 1st
- Trainer's EDGE Course @ SSTC on Sat. March 22nd
Upcoming Activities (http://www.nepabsa.org/activities)
- Merit Badge College @ Kings College on Sat. Jan. 11th
- Cub Scout Winter Fun Day on Sat. Jan. 25th
- Scout Sunday on Sun. Feb. 2nd
- Klondike Derby @ GPSR on Sat. Feb. 8th
- Wood Badge Gathering @ Elm Park United Methodist Church on Sun. March 9th
- Scout Night with the Penguins @ Mohegan Sun Arena on Sat. March 15th
- Harlem Globetrotters @ Mohegan Sun Arena on Fri. March 21st
- First Aid Meet @ TCMC on Sat. March 22nd
Monthly JTE Focus
The purpose of this section is to help provide a framework for a successful 2014 program year. The Journey to Excellence (JTE) standards are based on what successful packs, troops, and crews do to continually improve. The JTE standards provide tangible measurements based on things likely already being tracked, such as advancement, and uses simple ways to calculate performance. Each month I will be providing a JTE focus for better planning in our units.
Packs JTE Focus:
- Req. #3: Membership Plan for Spring recruitment.
- Req. #7: Service Projects Log service project hours onto http://servicehours.scouting.org
- Req. #9: Webelos-to-Scout Work with nearby troops to coordinate activities for the Webelos Scouts.
- Req. #12: Fitness Introduce the SCOUTStrong program in the pack. Visit http://www.scouting.org/SCOUTStrongPALA.aspx for more information
Troops JTE Focus:
- Req. #1: Advancement Encourage boys to complete their Scout Badge joining requirements as soon as possible after joining the troop. Encourage new Scouts to achieve First Class rank within a year, or at least by their second summer camp.
- Req. #3: Building Boy Scouting Make plans to participate in Webelos Graduation ceremonies at nearby packs’ Blue & Gold Banquets.
- Req. #7: Patrol Method Troop elections should be every 6 months, and be held early enough to allow new SPL to have experience leading the troop prior to Summer Camp.
- Req. #8: Service Projects Log service project hours onto http://servicehours.scouting.org
- Req. #9: Webelos-to-Scout Transition Work with nearby packs to coordinate activities for the graduating Webelos Scouts.
- Req. #12: Fitness Introduce the SCOUTStrong program in the Troop. Visit http://www.scouting.org/SCOUTStrongPALA.aspx for more information
Crews JTE Focus:
- Req. #2: Building venturing Consider plans to participate in nearby pack or troop activities to promote Venturing program.
- Req. #4: Youth leadership Crew elects officers and has training held early enough to allow new officers to have experience prior to super activities.
- Req. #5: Service Projects Log service project hours onto http://servicehours.scouting.org
- Req. #9: Fitness Introduce the SCOUTStrong program in the Crew. Visit http://www.scouting.org/SCOUTStrongPALA.aspx for more information